With winter and all its germs and bugs just around the corner, Mumfidential invites nutritionist Shona Wilkinson to give her top tips for staying healthy during pregnancy and recommend her favourite supplements.
1. For morning sickness try peppermint, ginger or chamomile tea, or ginger cordials. Keep snacks on hand to keep blood sugar stable
2. Consume healthy fatty acids to maintain balance of omegas 3 and 6. Omega 3 includes EPA and DHA, essential during fetal growth stages
3. Eat clean and eat vegetables. Dark green veg is a great source of folic acid which protects your baby from spina bifida. Aim for a rainbow diet
4. Keep up the protein intake for the maintenance of muscles and bones and the development of those in an unborn baby. Protein’s amino acids produce healthy neurotransmitters affecting the brain and behavior, which improves the immune system. Include plant-based sources such as lentils and seeds
5. For a strong immune system, make sure your diet is rich with vitamin C or take a daily supplement
6. Magnesium will help to keep energy up and support the nervous system
Top 3 pregnancy supplements
1. NHP Antenatal Support
Special multivitamin and mineral formulated to give you and your baby healthy during pregnancy. Formulated by Dr. Marilyn Glenville PhD.
£22.97. Available from naturalhealthpractice.com
2. Proven Probiotics Pregnancy Plus
This probiotic formulation of Lactobacillus & Bifidus is tailored to pregnancy by including multivitamins, minerals and DHA
£19.95. Available from provenprobiotics.co.uk
3. Source of Life Garden Prenatal Multi
Certified organic, vegan, wholefoods provide vitamins and minerals necessary for conception, fetal health and healthy lactation.
Sign up for our weekly e-mag![wysija_form id=”1″]