Have you been applying sun cream incorrectly?
In this 2.3 minute video, Boots UK’s Scientific Suncare Advisor shares the Do’s and Don’ts of sunscreen application to ensure your family is fully covered this summer!
Find out how much to apply, what factor to choose for your skin type and which body part is most likely to burn.
Here, Clare O’Connor, Boots Suncare Scientific Advisor shares her top sun care tips for your little ones:
- Sun protection for babies – “Babies under six months old should never be exposed to direct sunlight. For babies older than six months try and keep them in the shade as much as possible and protect their skin from the accidental exposure using baby sun protection SPF 50+ with a Five star UVA rating”
- Sun protection for fussy children – “If your little one protests about having sun cream applied, look for a child friendly roll on, spray or coloured lotion”
- When to apply – “Apply sun screen liberally to your child before going outside and allow ten to fifteen minutes drying time to avoid it rubbing off. Reapply often throughout the day ideally every two hours and always after swimming”
- How much to apply – “for a small child apply roughly a teaspoon of product for each limb and a pea sized blob for the face, neck and ears”
- Sun exposure – “Provide some shade or spend time indoors between 11 and 3 when the sun’s rays are strongest. To help minimise sun exposure for little ones, try using UV protective clothing and a hat that shades the neck, face and eyes”
- Sun protection for toddlers – “If your child is swimming or is in and out of the pool then you should use a water resistant children’s product of SPF50+ with a five star UVA rating”
- Eye protection – “Protect your child’s eyes from damaging UV rays with some age appropriate sun glasses if they will wear them. Otherwise ensure the hat has a broad brim to shade the eyes”
- Hydration and keeping cool – “Children can dehydrate very quickly so ensure they are drinking plenty of water and allow them to cool off in the pool and sit in the shade, especially between 11-3pm when the sun’s rays are strongest”
Soltan Kids Anti-Sand Protect lotion SPF50+ 200ml, £6.50* **
Help ensure kids are protected from the sun. This hypoallergenic lotion by Soltan carries the highest UVA 5 star rating. The UVA star rating system shows how much protection a product has, with five stars being the highest level. The clever anti-sand lotion dries in under 60 seconds and is extra water resistant so you can spend more time splashing about in the water as a family (provided instructions are followed).
Childs Farm 3 In 1 Swim Strawberry & Organic Mint 50ml, £1.99*
Don’t worry about hotel shampoo and shower gel aggravating your child’s sensitive skin while you’re away. This award-winning 3-in-1 swim is a shampoo, conditioner and body wash which can be used after swimming to help clean off chlorine and leave the kids smelling of strawberry and mint.
Vichy Thermal Spa Water Spray 150ml, £7.00*
Whether you’ve been sunbathing or sightseeing, holidays can often leave you feeling hot and bothered. This hypoallergenic and fragrance-free water spray is suitable for all the family and provides naturally enriched minerals and trace elements to help hydrate and cool skin.
Childs Farm After Sun Lotion Organic Coconut Oil 100ml, £4.99*
For little ones with sensitive and eczema prone skin, this paraben free after sun will help soothe and hydrate your child’s skin after sun, wind and outdoor exposure. Made from over 95% naturally derived ingredients such as coconut fruit extract and aloe vera, this lotion can be used on hair and skin of 6 month year olds upwards.