We can completely vouch for this recipe, having sampled it ourselves earlier this week at Mary’s for a rather naughty Tuesday night dinner party.
It’s perfect for adults and children and is quick and filling, not to mention veggie, although you could serve it with some grilled chicken or lamb if you wanted to make it more substantial.
Another complete winner, Mary, thank you!
Parmigiana di Melanzane (a.k.a baked Aubergine with Cheese and Tomato).
Really quick already but if short on time swap the tinned tomatoes, garlic and onion for a jar of Mr Organic’s passata/pasta sauce.
Ingredients (to make enough for 4):
A few peeled garlic cloves
1 tin of chopped tomatoes or jar of passata
Mozzarella cheese – shredded or grated
Grated parmesan/cheddar optional
Coconut oil /olive oil
- Slice your aubergines into rounds and brush with melted coconut oil/olive oil and salt and pepper. Roast in oven at 200 (fan) for 20 -25 mins until cooked through and golden.
- Meanwhile blitz onions and garlic in food processor until finely chopped then soften in saucepan with tablespoon of oil over hob.
- Add your tinned tomatoes/passata to the pan and simmer for 15-20 mins
- Add a handful of basil leaves and stir.
- Place a layer of your cooked aubergine in a baking dish, pour half the tomato mix over the top and sprinkle with half your mozzarella. Repeat process finishing with cheese (mozzarella/Parmesan/cheddar) on top.
- Place in oven at 180 for 20-25 mins.