Breakfast is the most important meal of the day but, for most of us, it tends to be a hurried, haphazard affair. This is why it is crucial to take it slow on the weekend and really treat yourself to something special. While pregnancy is a beautiful thing, let’s face it – it can also be exhausting.
In the first of our special recipes for Mumfidential, we combine five essential ingredients that you should be consuming more of during your first trimester in one mouthwatering recipe for cottage cheese pancakes with lime yoghurt dressing – proof that you can have your pancake and eat it too!
1. Cottage cheese: high calcium and protein content, crucial for muscle and bone development
2. Hemp protein powder: excellent source of all 20 amino acids, high in fibre and easily digestible
3. Honey: a fantastic all natural alternative to white sugar and artificial sweeteners
4. Lime: the high folic acid content of citrus fruit can help prevent birth defects
5. Yoghurt: high calcium and Vitamin D content, especially important for mum to ensure she is getting enough nutrition
Besides knowing what foods you should be consuming more of, it is also crucial to nourish mum and baby with traceable food. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of the food that we consume nowadays is loaded with artificial additives and chemical substances, long-term consumption of which is harmful to health. We know this. And yet 97% of us continue to shop at supermarkets, trusting labels such as ‘sustainably sourced’, ‘ethically produced’ and ‘organic’ without having any real guarantees of where something has come from or how it has been made.
At Caprera, we support small, independent, artisan producers throughout the UK and take traceability one step further by enabling customers to see not just where the food is made, but the people and the processes that go into making it via in-depth biographies, exclusive interviews or behind-the-scenes videos.
COTTAGE CHEESE PANCAKES WITH LIME YOGURT RECIPE
Makes: 8-10 pancakes
Preparation and cooking time: 20minutes
• 225 cottage cheese
• 1tsp vanilla
• 2tbsp Cotswold Sweet Clover honey by V&L Honeymooners
• 2 eggs
• 70g all-purpose flour
• 1tbsp Hemp Protein Powder by Themptation
• 1/2tsp bicarbonate of soda
• butter for frying
• 4tbsp Lime & Mint Curd by Scarlett & Mustard
• 400g low-fat Greek yoghurt
1. Whip together lime & mint curd and yoghurt until well-blended. Set aside in the fridge to chill until ready to serve.
2. Sift flour, protein powder and bicarbonate of soda together.
3. Whisk eggs until well-beaten, then beat in cottage cheese, vanilla and honey.
4. Fold dry ingredients into your wet batter.
5. Melt butter in a frying pan until foaming. Once hot, place heaped tablespoons of batter into the pan. Let cook a couple of minutes on one side, until golden-brown and puffed up, before flipping over.
Dollop the yogurt topping generously over your pancakes and serve with your choice of fresh fruit and berry coulis.
Visit www.caprera.com to discover the affordable, convenient way to experience true traceability and sustainability when you shop for food.