A mother used Facebook to urge parents to look out for the symptoms of Lyme Disease, a bacterial infection spread by ticks, after she saw a similar post that potentially saved her son’s life.
“Within a few hours, more and more of these bullseye spots were showing up on his face, legs and arms,” says Karen, who took her son straight to her local GP. “We were given anti-biotics to treat for Lyme Disease and we are hoping we caught it in time!! The doctor had never seen this before in a child so young…”
She also sought a second opinion from paediatricians at McMaster Children’s Hospital near her home in Canada, who confirmed that it was indeed Lyme disease.
“The stage of rash indicates it must have been from a tick bite he would have received 3-4 weeks ago (we never even saw a tick…). ,” she wrote on Facebook. “The funny thing is that because my son had been on antibiotics for 24 hours, the spots with the bullseye marking didn’t look as bad as they did yesterday. It took the pictures I had taken with my phone, as well as the doctor seeing a brand new spot pop up while we were there to confirm what they were looking at.”
“One of these amazing doctors even looked me straight in the eye and said “it’s scary for a mom to hear all this… are you okay?””
Karen wants to encourage other parents to watch out for these spots. “They look just a bullseye, and had it not been for the post I read, I never would have known it was something more than a simple rash caused by being the long grass,” she writes.
“I am so grateful for the post similar to this one that I saw three days ago… a post that potentially has saved my sons life, or at least saved him from a life very different from the one he lives and loves right now. He isn’t even two years old yet!”